Artist's Statement

I recycle and build from discarded "thrown away" pieces, such as parts of antique furniture, old tools, the banister of an old stairway, wooden molds, etc. Some pieces were discovered on a mountain road in Provence; other shapes caught my eye in flea markets and antique shops. As opposed to the ordinary, practical past use of the wood or metal, I see the forms in a new way. I take them as I find them, and am challenged and disciplined to work within the limitations of their design to assemble a sculpture in which each shape seems to belong to another by coming together (somewhat magically?) into a final harmonious composition.

I believe that it is necessary for both the artist and the viewer to become partners in the enriching experience of "seeing" in a new way,
thereby creating with imagination a partnership that touches upon the mysterious in the world of nature and art.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Centering Point